On Sep 13, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:

> What do y'all think of the idea of a spelling server -- a Web service
> taking a word as input and returning a list of alternative spellings.

Well, as a stress reliever I created the Spell Web Service (version
0.1), and at the URL below you can read about this "light-weight"
protocol, try out three almost brain-dead clients, as see the source
code:

   1. Simple - returns plain o' XML output complete with DTD
   2. Smart - transforms plain o' XML output into HTML
   3. British Library - an SRU interface to the British Library
catalogue,
      and when zero hits are returned the client tries to improve the
      query through spell checking a la Google's Did You Mean? feature

Try:

   http://spell.ockham.org/about/

--
Eric Lease Morgan