Some of you may remember that last year we held a DLF Scholars' Advisory
Panel to present to a group of working researchers and teachers a range
of DLF activities, and to solicit from them feedback on the way they
used digital library content, and the barriers that stood in their way
when they engaged in digital scholarship
<http://www.diglib.org/use/scholars0406/>

This summer, as part of our IMLS-funded OAI "next generation" work
<http://www.diglib.org/architectures/oai/imls2004/> we convened a
similar group to comment in a more focused manner on the opportunities
and challenges of using OAI and harvestable metadata.  The subject focus
of the grant is American cultural materials, reflecting the bulk of what
we have digitized in our collections to date, and therefore the
individuals on the panel are predominantly drawn from departments which
study the history and literature of America.

Not surprisingly, the group had feedback on a range of issues, which can
be found in PDF at
http://www.diglib.org/architectures/oai/imls2004/OAISAP05.pdf and in
HTML at http://www.diglib.org/architectures/oai/imls2004/OAISAP05.htm.
This new report should be of some use, I hope, to anyone building
digital library services for the humanities scholar.

We are taking these lessons to heart as we continue to develop prototype
services and interfaces.  The grant also covers very important OAI Best
Practices documentation (jointly developed with NSDL), some training in
OAI for DLF institutions, and a revision of Martha Brogan's very well
received "A Survey of Digital Library Aggregation Services" (December
2003) <http://www.diglib.org/pubs/brogan/>

Best wishes,

David

David Seaman
Executive Director
Digital Library Federation
Council on Library and Information Resources
1755 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 500
Washington DC 20036
USA
Tel: 202-939-4762