Requirements for Digital Preservation Systems: A Bottom-Up Approach
<http://www.arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0509018>

Authors: David S. H. Rosenthal, Thomas S. Robertson, Tom Lipkis, Vicky
Reich, Seth Morabito

The field of digital preservation is being defined by a set of
standards developed top-down, starting with an abstract reference model
(OAIS) and gradually adding more specific detail. Systems claiming
conformance to these standards are entering production use. Work is
underway to certify that systems conform to requirements derived from
OAIS.

We complement these requirements derived top-down by presenting an
alternate, bottom-up view of the field. The fundamental goal of these
systems is to ensure that the information they contain remains
accessible
for the long term. We develop a parallel set of requirements based on
observations of how existing systems handle this task, and on an
analysis
of the threats to achieving the goal. On this basis we suggest
disclosures
that systems should provide as to how they satisfy their goals.

Michael A. Keller
  University Librarian
  Director of Academic Information Resources
  Publisher of HighWire Press
  Publisher of Stanford University Press
Stanford University

101 Green Library