I'm always open to a more elegant solution (or a learning opportunity),
but this probably doesn't warrant any more of the list's time.  I was
just looking for a simpler way to create a slew of hidden variables that
lurk while the user previews their submission (as it would appear on the
live page) before clicking the final submit.

Ross's solutions did indeed work for me--and at his insistence I will
change my argument from a string to an array.  I do love exploding
things, though . . . .

Thanks, as always, for the help--and the offer of a more elegant solution!

Andrew