The latest from our friends at the Digital Opportunity Investment Trust,
of which DLF is an ally.

DO IT Concept Supported by Many on Commerce and Still in Play as Budget
Process Continues

Dear Members of Digital Promise:

            This has been a rollicking fall on Capitol Hill as all who
are watching know, but through the mighty efforts of our coalition
leadership DO IT has gained additional and quite extraordinary support
and we have made headway with the legislation in spite of the strict
budget process that is still underway.

            Of particular note is that Internet Pioneer Vint Cerf, a
Presidential Medal of Freedom Award winner for being one of the original
founders of the Internet, has added his voice in strong support of
creating DO IT in a recent letter to House Commerce Committee Chairman
Joe Barton (letter attached).  In his letter Mr. Cerf says that DO IT
can yield enormous public benefits and would reshape learning
opportunities for all Americans; he clearly points out that a focused
federal research investment in DO IT is essential for maintaining
America's economic leadership and security.  We urge you to read the
letter and use it as part of any communications you are planning with
your elected officials or association membership. This letter is
particularly helpful in answering the question of why investment in R&D
for DO IT must be made even when facing budget shortfalls, disaster
relief and war spending.

            The DTV bill currently included in the overall Budget
Reconciliation package is a sparse budget vehicle that does not contain
DO IT or any other new policy initiatives. Predictions on whether the
Budget Reconciliation bill will pass change every day and in
anticipation of a stalemate, both House and Senate Commerce Committees
are gearing up for new comprehensive telecommunications policy work that
represents another excellent opportunity to launch DO IT.

            Awareness and support for DO IT by all Commerce Committee
Members is increasing.  A provision to help launch DO IT was included in
early versions of the current DTV bills in both the House and Senate.
But we need your help to build this growing bipartisan group of DO IT
supporters on the key Committees.  If you are represented by a Member of
the House or Senate Commerce Committees (see attached list) we urgently
ask that you review the sample letters (attached) and send a
personalized version to your Representative/Senator.  Better yet, a
personal phone call or meeting in addition to written communication
would be enormously meaningful at this time. All Members will be
returning to their districts first for Thanksgiving and then for the
winter holidays. Adding your voice at this time is absolutely critical!

If you have any questions, concerns or want the very latest information
we can provide, please do not hesitate to contact us at:

Again, thank you for all of your help!

Larry Grossman & Newt Minow
Co-Chairmen

Anne Murphy