Hi folks,

I've been using a Library-of-Congress sort routine for a few years, and
until now I have never used it on sufficiently large set of data to
notice that it doesn't really work. It does a great job of sorting by LC
class letters, but after that it gets a bit sketchy. Can someone help me
here?

The sort uses the php "usort" command, with the sort routine defined in
the SortCall function (at the bottom of the page)
Here's the sort in action:
http://www6.wittenberg.edu/lib/sort.php
And here's the code:
http://www6.wittenberg.edu/lib/sort.txt

I'm finding that LC call numbers with decimals in the first number seem
to be especially confusing, as in this supposedly sorted list:

LB1027 .P383 1999
LB1027.9 .L43 2004
LB1028.24 .B75 1999
LB1027.3 .S33 1999
LB1027.9 .S26 2000
LB1028.24 .P65 1999
LB1027.3 .E44 2001
LB1028 .A7 1990
LB1027.25 E45 2001
LB1027.3 .E45 1997
LB1027.23 .B45 1997
LB1027.23 .S556 1996
LB1027.44 .M67 1994

Can anyone see why this isn't working? Alternately, does anyone have an
LC sort routine that they are really happy with? This one doesn't even
pretend to do a good job sorting on anything with more than one set of
cutters, but now I find it's even lamer than I thought.

Help!

Thanks
Ken

--