Hi Ken:

Many years ago I came up with an algorithm for sorting call numbers. In
our collection, that is primarily LC numbers, but also other, including
home-grown call numbers. Works fine for us about 99%+ of the time, and
we use it in production.
It currently exists in Perl. You can get it from

    http://homepages.wmich.edu/~zimmer/other_index.html

Let me know if I can be of further help.

(Current note: I will not be reading my email after Friday, 12/16, and
will be back around the end of the first week in January.)

Roy Zimmer----->OIT----->Library Stuff & Other things----->
Western Michigan University----->Kalamazoo, Michigan USA
localsystem=P3 ICBM=(%Fatal:GPS error 51) RF=KB8UBA AF="Hey you!" QRM!
[log in to unmask] you go, there you are!