Actually, one of the strengths of B-trees is that they perform better
than alternatives when *not* kept in RAM.  Excerpt from Wikipedia:

: B-trees have substantial advantages over alternative implementations
: when node access times far exceed access times within nodes. This
: usually occurs when most nodes are in secondary storage such as hard
: drives. By maximizing the number of child nodes within each internal
: node, the height of the tree decreases, balancing occurs less often,
: and efficiency increases. Usually this value is set such that each
: node takes up a full disk block or an analogous size in secondary
: storage.

A B-tree's nodes are likely to be cached in RAM whenever practicable,
of course.

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman :: [log in to unmask] :: http://www.nkuitse.com/