On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:44:08AM -0800, Jeremy Frumkin wrote:
> Ross unleashed:
>

> > Why does it have to follow /any/ traditional publishing model?
> >
> > I sort of like the idea that maybe 3 articles come out in a week, then
> > nothing for a week or two, then another article comes out, and then one
> > comes out every day for a 13 day span.
> >
> > If the delivery method is purely electronic, and it's a given that the
> > intended audience would have tools to be alerted of new articles, why
> > bother with a formal schedule?
> >
> > -Ross.
>

> While I was at the University of Arizona, we produced the Journal of Insect
> Science (http://insectscience.org) (now at the University of Wisconsin).
> While this is a peer reviewed journal, it took the approach not to produce
> actual "issues", but to publish articles once they successfully vetted
> through the peer review process. For preservation and posterity, at the end
> of each year we would print out all of the articles and have them hard
> bound.
>
> The point is, Ross' suggestion is a good one, and I give it a hearty +1

Actually, in its next version Open Journal Systems will have a feature for releasing articles between issues,
something which has been commmon in some scientific disciplines for a long time. I'm not necessarily
advocating OJS, just saying what Ross is suggesting is par for the course.

Mark

Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Phone (604) 291 5753 / Fax (604) 291 3023
[log in to unmask] / http://www.sfu.ca/~mjordan/