Hi Eric,

Zebra would be a good choice : http://indexdata.dk/zebra for a
baseline index that will make the collection available via Z39.50.
Depending on what format the journals are in (XML, free text?)
you will need to configure the '.abs' file to specify access
points.

There will be a Zebra plugin architecture for Koha very shortly,
meaning once you've got your collection's .abs file set up (something
I'd be happy to help with), you could make the collection available
via a library catalog. It will support full CQL queries which would
be especially nice for full-text searching ... ping me off list if
you want more details.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
[log in to unmask] |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS