In addition to a proposal to start a journal around code4lib,  there has
also been talk about "code4lib as a school" (something that I heard Dan
Chudnov bring up at the conference).  A lot of interest has been
expressed in finding further mechanisms for members of the code4lib
community to learn from and to teach each other.  Such teaching/learning
activities may extend beyond the immediate code4lib community.  A model
that was brought up at the conference was the workshop, specifically a
multi-day workshop in which attendees can dive deeply into a topic.
(e.g., Rob Sanderson teaching a workshop on to use cluster computing for
text mining)

I would like to start a conversation around the notion of "code4lib as a
school."  There are a lot of directions such a conversation can go -- so
in an attempt to guide it, I'll pose some questions:

   * Do you perceive a need for mechanisms beyond what we already have
for the code4lib community for learning/teaching each other or those
outside the community?

   * What mechanisms might we employ?  The workshop model came to many
people's minds.  What do you think of the workshop model?  What other
mechanisms might work?

   * What specifically would you like to learn from this community?
What would you like to teach?   Who would you like to teach a
course/lead a workshop and on what topics?

   * What are organizational frameworks we can already work within to
make "code4lib as a school" as bureaucratically lightweight as possible
w/o too many downsides?

I'll kick off this thread and see where it goes.

-Raymond Yee

Raymond Yee                            2195 Hearst (250-22)
Technology Architect                            UC Berkeley
Interactive University Project      Berkeley, CA 94720-3810
[log in to unmask]                 510-642-0476 (work)
http://iu.berkeley.edu/rdhyee           413-541-5683  (fax)