On Feb 21, 2006, at 11:27 PM, Mark Jordan wrote:
> In other words, http://code4lib.org/ could _be_ the journal
> but it could be a new type of journal.

I'll second this.

Four years ago we started /usr/lib/info for roughly this same
purpose, and a number of these same people (usual suspects?) were
involved in that.  Back then things were different web-wise; the
interspeedomushification of technorati and bloglines and such didn't
exist or weren't what they are now, only a minority of our potential
readership/contributorship was in the habit of posting comments to
blogs, and this community wasn't what it is now.

That all that's changed was made inarguably evident to me in the past
month.
Today's bloglines or whathaveyou tell you when somebody's writing
about whatnot nearly instantly, comments on the new oss4lib.org have
practically already surpassed what used to show up in the old one,
and we're a strong enough community to pull off a kick-ass conference
invented in near real-time.

code4lib.org has nearly everything we need already, including the
"branding", whatever that means, and among us are plenty who know how
to make drupal do what it needs or whatever we might invent a need for.

So if /usr/lib/info was a fledgling librarians' first effort at
transformation, our little community must already be founding that
next special issue.  All good things to those that write.

(Hmm, okay, well, maybe "hollywood serial killer" wasn't the best
motif to reference... you get the point, though.)

I've been posting news and revisions of unAPI to code4lib.org because
it's already simply the best place to put it.  Where else would it
go?  Seems just about in line with where you're suggesting we head.

   -dchud