On 2/22/06, Andrew Nagy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I spoke with some of you at the restaurant Thursday night during the
> conference briefly about a code sharing site for code4libbers.  The
> OSS4Lib site is a great resource for libraries considering the world of
> open source; however, I think much like the CPAN or PEAR code
> repositories, a code4lib repository would act as a great place for us to
> "whiteboard" and share code much like Art mentions above.  A place to
> not share full blown applications, but a place to post our hacks and
> code libraries that we have written.
>
> As a member of the PEAR development community, I know that the web
> application that runs this is open-source and has ties to CVS for code
> management, Bug tracking much like bugzilla, and most importantly, a
> place to write documentation for each code snippet.  I'm not necessarily
> advocating for an implementation of the PEAR web application, but it's
> concept for the Code4Lib website.  Maybe even a DSpace implementation
> would work?  Even a CVS or Subversion repository at it's simplest would
> help.
>
> Would the maintainers of the Code4Lib website be willing to
> support/implement such an application?

Sorry if this was already stated. This sounds like the textualize site
which has what appears to be drupal and then trac/svn. I think
something could be done with just the trac/svn as it has wiki,
bugtracking and source control. The scope of the site would probably
have to be discussed though. If people start posting lots of code
snippets to the wiki it could easily become hard to find things. If
it's mostly code libraries or full classes I think it could work on
that alone.

http://www.textualize.com/
http://www.textualize.com/trac/

I also think a central code repository / code snippets would be a good
idea. There's a few interesting ones out there for snippets including
this one:

http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/

Again I'm unsure if we would be looking at mostly small snippets and
functions or full fledged classes/libraries.