On Mar 18, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Edward Summers wrote:

> Has anyone in the SRU community talked about using autodiscovery to
> indicate an explicit link between a web front end and a SRU service?
> Something like what opensearch [1] uses:
>
>   <link type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" rel="search"
> href="opensearch-description.xml" />
>
> In the code4lib search interface it could theoretically look like:
>
>   <link type="application/sru+xml" rel="search" href="http://
> dewey.library.nd.edu/mailing-lists/code4lib/mail/sru/" />

I will see about updating the SRU explain response, and no, to the
best of my knowledge the only automatic discovery technique explored
by the SRU community has been through the use of SOAP and UDDI
exchanges.

Considering the fact that the SOAP interface (SRW) seems to be taking
a back seat lately, the <link></link> technique you describes looks
simple to implement and probably effective.

--
Eric Lease Morgan