I have drafted an essay called All Things Open where I outline open
source software, OAI, OpenURL, and open access publishing. From the
final paragraph:

   Through all things open librarians can transform themselves
   and the things they do to go beyond traditional library
   collections and services. Through all things open it is
   possible to enhance the meaning of librarianship, to empower
   users to a greater degree, and to more proactively support
   life long learning and the pursuit of truth through
   scholarship. Change is not easy. Think of the time and
   energy a caterpillar goes through to become a butterfly.
   Think of your own personal development from childhood
   through adolescence to adulthood. Librarianship may be going
   through the same thing, and it will continue to grow as long
   as the majority of us learn to adapt to the environment,
   build on what we have already created, and take advantage of
   our "open-utities".

   http://infomotions.com/musings/all-things-open/

I'm looking for a bit of peer-review. Questions, comments,
clarifications, corrections, or criticisms are welcome on- or off-line.

--
Eric Morgan