Ah, yes, cobranding... everything old is new again. We were doing this when
I started in 2001. There were several issues:

1. We weren't charging for it; it was just an added value service. Based on
all the bells and whistles, and even the minimum HTML (which at the time was
five templates requiring extensive coding and tweaking, all which had to be
redone every time the library changes its website, plus all the funky
library coding that we stumbled into) it would have cost us 6000 hours a
year to deliver to every library in California. (I know: we could use
library students or volunteers! Uh huh...) I don't think we could make it
cost-effective as a national funded service, at least not in scale to
address our funding issues. It's very boutiquey, very maintenance intensive,
and requires talking to webmasters with no clue what they are doing. When
our funding had a steep cut the last time (2002) I stopped the service.

2. It creates a branding problem for LII to have a million quasi-LIIs
running around. We ran into this in several situations.

3. It still requires that your users jump into a separate portal to do their
search, even if it looks like your stuff on the outside.

The number of libraries that tell me they'd love a service but they just
can't pay for it is pretty high... at least with "links on a page" I have a
few interested customers, probably more in the public library arena? When I
talked about it in PLA, hands popped up all over the audience, and I have a
real-world customer interested. I keep thinking the content and presentation
could be managed through a tool such as Media Manager, which I use on my
blog to present Amazon content...

Karen