I think tagging in catalogs would help "browsability".  A lot of the
catalogs I see are browsable, but unless you know the terminology (aka
subject headings) it can be difficult to find stuff without doing a search.

Tagging gives us a user created vocabulary that does a few things:
1) It gives them some interaction in what can very much be a come, get what
you want, and leave scenario (i.e. they search, they find, they leave) - it
makes your site more participatory
2) It creates links between people using common tags, making it a little
"social" as well as giving the library an idea of the types of words people
would actually search and browse by.

I would love to implement tagging for my consortial catalog, but we're not
quite there yet.  I have begun to use tagging in other ways and I think it
is great; especially if you want to do a "mashup" or aggregate data from
multiple sources based on a tag.

I imagine some people see tagging as some trendy fad; maybe it is, but I
think it should be taken very seriously and people should really consider
implementing it.  There are lots of discussions out there about storing tag
data and formulas for generating tag clouds.

--this message is a little late in the conversation.  Eric had to hook me up
with the ability to post since I was trying to post from a diff address than
I registered with.

Chris

Chris Deweese
Internet Applications Developer
http://www.lcls.org
Lewis & Clark Library System
425 Goshen Road, Edwardsville IL 62025
618-656-3216 x130
AIM: ChrisDeweese25

Illinois Library Systems - 40 Years of Excellence