Hi Roy,

As a basis for the web services alternative, you might want to look at Mark Pilgrim's Universal Feed Parser: http://feedparser.org/

Tom

Tom Burton-West
Senior Applications Systems Analyst
Library Information Systems
Getty Research Institute
(310)440-7410

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/16/06 11:37 AM >>>
Thank you all for your feedback, both public and private. The
response was universal: it would be better to handle this with code
rather than XSLT, and the best method would be a web services model
where you pass in a URL for a feed and get back standard output,
letting the code handle invalid XML and all the variant forms of RSS.
This is exactly the solution I would like to use, and will continue
to advocate with the powers that be. In this particular instance, I
must be a team player and not just go and do it myself. Meanwhile, in
the short-term I decided to hand-select the appropriate stylesheet
for the specific feed rather than try to write a stylesheet that
could handle anything. That will work for now, but before long I'll
need to have an easier and less fragile method such as the ones you
suggested. Thanks,
Roy