Hi Ed,

On 3/9/06, Ed Summers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Lucky you! I've had similar problems in non-library settings, so I
> don't think that the library community is any worse at following
> software best practices than other communities.

Ok, so what you're saying is that is, for me, an isolated incident,
and I'd be better off to quit and find somewhere else. I can live with
that. :)

> If they were then
> there wouldn't be such an appetite for the wisdom you find in Joel on
> Software, Paul Graham, et al.

Hmm, having an appetite doesn't equate that what you're eating is
healthy, but yes, I understand your point. :)

> I'm not sure griping in public like this will help much...

I'm not so much griping in public as I'm reaching out to my fellow
geeks; I'm pretty sure that I can't be the only one who's battled new
things against conservative bastions before. Most of my problems are
located within a rather conservative mindset of my managers that I
can't seem to get through. I've broken through it in other places, to
great success, but the library world, to me, seems inpenetrable. I
guess I should have know, Z39.50 and all. :)

> In my experience I've found that people react best to seeing how a new
> development process, pattern or technology helps *in practice* rather
> than *in theory*.

I agree, and I've done all that and more, yet nothing changes. If
management above you still don't get it, or fight it, then there is
nothing left to do, and as such I think I've just concluded that. I'm
sorry to leave the library world, but not sorry to leave the
mentality.

> But everyone likes recognition for good work--I'm sorry it sounds like
> you aren't getting that support.  Good luck--and try to focus on one
> thing at a time...says ADD man.

With anything that goes against what you know as good, it won't be
classified as 'good'.

Anyways, thanks for the input.

Regards,

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert