> On Mar 9, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Magnus Enger wrote:
> >  But rather than despairing over what we can't do with this
> > content, maybe we could come up with some creative uses for the
> > increasing amounts of Open Access materials available in OA
> > journals and repositories?
>
> I like the sound of that. Do you have any ideas up your sleeve?
> Perhaps we could use the code4lib.org website to document some of
> these ideas?
>
> //Ed

I have had one idea in this area, which I developed into a prototype as part of the work on my masters thesis:
http://collib.info/index.php?title=Main_Page
The idea was to harvest metadata from (LIS-related) OA repositories and let users tag the metadata, wiki-style.
(There's a rather large "ooops" in there currently, metadata are not displayed for records that haven't been tagged yet. I will fix that as soon as I can!)

The prototype was created on the principle of "build it and see if they will come" - and the use of the site clearly indicates that they will not... But I still think this idea deserves some more investigation, preferably with a more intuitive way of tagging the metadata records. It shouldn't be too difficult to hook up an OAI-PMH harveter with something like an instance of connotea, should it?

If we could get a community of users to apply tags both to records in our catalogs and harvested metadata I think we could be able to create some interesting links between them. "Like this book? Here are some OA documents users seem to think is related to it." And vice versa.

Regards,
Magnus Enger