Great input....thanks for the discussion.   A few notes on what we're
seeing on our end:

a) We've just finished testing a content-based relevance ranking method
with users; it works well for academic users, and will probably work
better with some tweaking of field weights.    I'll have more specific
results in a month or two.

b) We experimented with "boosting" some documents using holdings data.
OCLC gave us both WorldCat-wide and UC-wide numbers to work with.
David's observation is right on...the mix in WorldCat skews things for
academic libraries, so we rejected that and used UC system-wide numbers
in our experiments.

And I do agree with Jonathan's excellent summary...summing the scores is
not the right approach. And yet...I wish I could explain why it seems as
though the clustering can tell us something.

--Colleen