Another observation (from another visitor visiting OCLC).

This concerned how to display results for texts with multiple editions.
We conducted a search in which the first title in the result set was for
the first edition of a work published in 1976.

A more recent version of the title was released in 2002, but this
version was buried further down the result set because there were fewer
libraries who had actually acquired it compared to those that owned a
copy of the first version.

The visitor thought it probably made more sense, in this case, to rank
the versions in reverse chronological order by publication date so that
the most recent version was at the top of the list, irrespective of the
number of holdings for an edition.

Perhaps, then, popularity might be measured collectively against all of
the editions of a title, rather than solely against holdings for
particular editions of the same title.

Doug Loynes
Director, Content Inititives
OCLC, Online Computer Library Center Inc.