> I'm not sure where stemming comes in (does Lucene do this?), it seems
> faceted browsing could be handled by something like Carrot2.  Rumor
> has it Solr has faceting support somewhere, as well.  At least,
> according to the 9s project.  http://www.nines.org/
>
> -Ross.

Lucene doesn't have native stemming; it does do fuzzy search, but you don't
want that. (Trussssssst me, through a funky series of events I recently
evaluated Lucene with fuzzy search enabled, and it was bizarre.) Lucene is
used as a building block for other search engines. It does support quite a
few capabilities. I have seen it used in conjunction with the Porter
stemming algorithm and with spell-checkers of various flavors.

But again--and probably only because I have been testing search engines for
several months and am starting to get a little cabin fever--I want to
clarify that I'm not piling on the fact that Kino can't do it all. As a
component, it could be great, and that it's in a Perl is a biggy. I was
(awkwardly) addressing my concern that some fundamental search capabilities
appeared to have been labeled "creeping featureitis." I would just be
careful about that kind of terminology. I doubt Eric meant anything
seriously by it. I just know the long uphill battle it can be to provide
quality search, and I wouldn't want someone as distinguished as Eric quoted
in support of compromising the user experience.

K.G. Schneider