The fact that /lib/dev has punctuation is something that was discussed
in #code4lib.  All I can say, as Roy pointed out, is the people voted
for what they wanted.  Fwiw, unlike C++ (which is a pain to search
for), /lib/dev without the punctuation leaves a searchable string
"libdev" (that's why we have see refs, no?)

Kevin