At the University of Southern California we have historically used MrSID to deliver large compressed images over the Web.  These are normally stored as tiffs with SID renditions subsequently derived from the tiffs.

We are considering switching to an alternative compression because of intermittent problems with the SIDs.  One technology we're considering switching to is jpeg-2000.

We would be most appreciative if we could hear from others out there with regard to preferred compression formats for delivery of still images on the Web -- particularly if you are using jpeg-2000.

Thanks.

Wayne

R. Wayne Shoaf
Director
Information Delivery, Organization & Retrieval
Information Services Division
University of Southern California
University Village, UVI, Bldg. A
3305 South Hoover Street