JISC Press Release

Digitisation of major scholarly resources: have your say…

Community consulted on shortlisted projects

24th July, 2006. A fossil record database that will ‘document the history of life’; the country’s largest collection of Pre-Raphaelite drawings; the most important commercial radio archive in the UK; the full text of all twentieth century Cabinet papers; the Desmond Tutu archive; the historic boundaries of Britain…

These are just some of the proposals for digitisation which JISC has received since its April call and which the education community is being consulted on over the next two months. With around £4m of further investment in the digitisation of unique resources of national importance being made by JISC in the coming two years, widespread consultation is taking place to decide which projects will receive funding.

A total of 49 proposals were received, involving 120 partner institutions from education, research, public libraries, museums and the commercial sector, totaling more than £34m of requested funding. A selection panel has agreed on a shortlist of 24 projects which will form the basis of the consultation to be held until the end of September.

Among other proposals received are those for the digitisation of Islamic manuscripts; all photographic negatives held by the Scott Polar Research Institute; the Carl Giles newspaper cartoon archive; rare pamphlets and newspapers from the Anglo-Jewish community, and primary material, including sound, images and video, of the major First World War poets.

Those selected will join six funded projects in the £10m JISC Digitisation programme, projects which are currently digitising a wide variety of online content, including sound, moving pictures, newspapers, census data, journals and parliamentary papers. The first resources to be made available from the programmme – the Medical Journals Backfile project – were launched in May and the coming year will see other major scholarly resources made available to the further and higher education communities.

Stuart Dempster, manager of the digitisation programme, said: ‘We’ve had a tremendous response to our call and a large number of excellent proposals. Making unique but inaccessible resources more widely available is central to the programme and we’re keen now to ensure that we get the views of the education and research community to find out which resources they want to see digitised and made more accessible.’

To view the shortlisted projects and to make your views known, please go to: http://jiscdigitisation.typepad.com/

To find out more about the JISC Digitisation programme, please go to: Digitisation

Dr Philip Pothen,

JISC (Joint Information Systems Committee),

King's College London,

Strand Bridge House,

138-142 The Strand (3rd Floor),

London WC2R 1HH