Naming computers is always fun.  My main computer at home is always
"Golem", and if I ever had had the power to name a series of
computers, I was going to name them after famous Canadian maritime
disasters ("Erebus" and "Terror" were going to be the first two).

RFC 1178 (http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1178.html) has some good
dos and don'ts for naming a computer, and is a pretty fun read too.

- David

On 27-Oct-06, at 07:58 , K.G. Schneider wrote:

> You mean like Huey, Dewey and Louie? (I'll never tell where...'twas
> a long
> time ago...and the servers were named pre-Internet and suddenly
> became er,
> more visible.)
>
> I've always enjoyed the library server names that sounded
> sophisticated and
> evil... "darkstar" etc.... reminds me of our tabby cat thinking
> she's a
> cruel-hearted tiger as she pounces on a cloth mouse.
>
> Karen G. Schneider

David J. Fiander
Digital Services Librarian