Eric et al,

You could get around the writability by using a usb drive.   You
could even use QEMU on it and not have to reboot.   This might be
helpful:  http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html
I haven't tried this, but it looks interesting.   It sound like your
solution can be complex as long as the complexity is suitably hidden
from the end-user, right?  If so, building a complete environment
shouldn't be too much of an issue.

-John
John Millard
Head of Digital Initiatives and Associate Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, OH 45056
(513) 529-6789
More info: http://staff.lib.muohio.edu/~millarj/