From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Jody Fagan
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Server names at libraries

Dear Code4Lib folks,

I'd like to write an anecdotal article about library server nomenclature
... I'm for-sure that most librarians don't even know our servers have
names. I am hoping that some of you might be willing to share (off-list)
server names you have known in libraries, how/why you chose them, and
any random thoughts you have about them. Did you inherit them? Did you
get to pick them out? Do you think the whole idea of server names is
silly or do you secretly like the fact that your servers have names?
I am happy to guarantee anonymity (that is, I won't use your name or
institution in conjunction with any server names) unless you
specifically want to be identified or given credit for your statements.
I plan on sharing my institution's server names in my article, but not
say where they are from....

thanks for considering this,

Jody

--

Jody Condit Fagan
Digital Services Librarian, James Madison University

"Machine. Unexpectedly, I'd invented a time" -- Alan Moore
http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/sixwords.html