I need to write a gateway to allow patron info to be accessed
via LDAP and am looking for a class library to take care of
the LDAP part of it.  I already have the patron info accessible
via a custom SOAP interface so what I need is something that
receives LDAP requests, passes them to me where I make the SOAP
request, and then helps me build a valid LDAP response and sends
it back to the client.  So I guess I'm looking for a "container"
for LDAP like Tomcat is a "container" for HTTP and Axis is a
container for SOAP?

I see a few libraries (like JLDAP) for building LDAP gateways
the other way...that is, translating some other kind of request
to LDAP and passing it to a backend LDAP server.  In that case
the gateway is an LDAP client, but I want to build an LDAP
server (or virtual server, I don't want to build a directory).

Anyone know of such a thing?  Java is preferred, but Perl would
work too (those are the two ways I know to build SOAP clients).
Or do any of these new frameworks or app environments provide
tools for talking both protocols?

thanks,
-Don Gourley