On 11/27/06, Bess Sadler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> At UVa we have been burned several times by poor search performance
> of XML native databases. In light of this, we're starting to look at
> the database and the index as separate but cooperative pieces of the
> application. That way you can use solr / lucene for search, faceted
> browse, etc, and your XML database only for known item retrieval,
> which it is generally able to do without performance issues. I'm
> hopping up and down waiting for someone to take this approach with an
> ILS, so please come and show us what you've got!

<shameless_plug>
Not to pitch my own code4lib proposal, but this is just what we've
done with our digital collections.  We have a native XML database
backend and use Lucene to do the indexing (we're also looking at
solr).  The "bridge" between the db and indexes is XQuery (the topic
of my proposed talk).  We made this decision not for performance
reasons (our performance was fine -- in fact our native xml database
uses Lucene), but for other reasons.  What were they?  Give my
proposal a vote and find out. ;-)
</shameless_plug>

Kevin