On 11/27/06, Andrew Nagy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My only concern about lucene is the lack of a standard query language.
> I went down the native XML database path because of XQuery and XSL, does
> something like lucene and solr offer a strong query language?  Is it a
> standard?  What if someone developed a kick ass text indexer in 2 years
> that totally blows lucene out of the water, would you easily be able to
> switch systems?

XQuery is a different kind of "query" language than Lucene's at this
point.  There is a planned fulltext extension to the XQuery language
in the works at W3C.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see, once this
work is finished, someone use Lucene to implement XQuery's fulltext
searching.

That's my prediction anyway,
Kevin