On 11/28/06, Kevin S. Clarke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> How do you switch to it?  How do the pieces talk?  This is the point
> of standards.  If there is a standard way of addressing an index then
> you don't have to care what the newest greatest indexer is.  This
> paragraph seems in contrast to your one above.

Well, what's the guarantee that the next great indexer isn't going to
be using /some other standard/ than the one you're using?

My only point is, it's a whole lot easier to refactor your application
to benefit from a different indexing engine than it is to export all
of your data out of something, potentially remodel it to work in
another.

I suppose it all breaks down to how much work you're willing to invest
to keep up with the Joneses (after all, you could just stay with
Lucene), but I don't really see the argument of "XQuery is a
standard".  Just because it's a standard (vs. semi-ubiquitous API)
doesn't mean it will have the best tools for a particular problem
area.

-Ross.