On 11/28/06, Ross Singer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well, what's the guarantee that the next great indexer isn't going to
> be using /some other standard/ than the one you're using?

Well, that's the great thing about standards... there are so many to
choose from...  ba-dump-pa!

> My only point is, it's a whole lot easier to refactor your application
> to benefit from a different indexing engine than it is to export all
> of your data out of something, potentially remodel it to work in
> another.

I'm not talking about touching data at all.  Using a standard should
mean it doesn't matter what you put your data in.  XQuery will work
with a relational database as well as with a native XML database as
well as with a file system.  The point with a standard is you
shouldn't have to refactor your application just because you want to
change a component on the backend... you shouldn't have to care
whether you are storing in Oracle or MarkLogic.

> I suppose it all breaks down to how much work you're willing to invest
> to keep up with the Joneses (after all, you could just stay with
> Lucene)

I'd agree with Gabe... it doesn't have to be use Lucene or keep up
with the Joneses.  I'll make my prediction again... once XQuery has
standardized on a fulltext syntax, someone will implement it using
Lucene.  If it hasn't happened in five years Ross, I'll buy you a
beer.

Kevin