I think this is a data structure problem... MARC is well structured
for compact transmission (or was at one point) but not so much for
data (re)use (in my opinion).

One solution, as Erik has suggested, is to parse the data and build
intelligible indices.  Another, as Andrew suggests (and which I think
Endeca does too at least as a preliminary step), is to map to a more
reasonably arranged data structure (in XML) and index that.

Fwiw Andrew, I'd suggest you are not seeing the "true spirit of your
NXDB."  Try to put MARC into a RDBMS and you are going to run into the
same problem.  You have to index intelligently or reorganize the data
(which is the default when you put XML into a RDBMS anyway).  Perhaps
a criticism of NXDBs could be that they make sound like they can
handle anything you throw at them without regard for what that is...
"If it is XML, we can handle it."

Data can have a structure that makes it more accessible or less.  The
promise of XML (as a storage format rather than transmission format
(which is its other purpose)) is that you can work with data in its
native format (no deconstruction necessary).  However, there is
nothing about XML or NXDBs that makes one use a well structured data
format.

Kevin

ps: I'm still reeling at the idea of Elsevier making Lucene indices
available... wow, neat idea.