>Patrons definitly want to be able to limit on availability. And I don't
>think anyone's figured out a good way to do that in this generation of
>"export and index" search tools we are experimenting with. (Heck, I know
>a major commercial ILS that won't let you do it in the OPAC either!).  I
>believe NCSU does a nightly export

The trick might be to "export and index" once for a circ status field in
the index, and then maintain said field with a cron process of some kind.
This would require that the ILS involved have some mechanism for showing
transactions that have occurred since the last time the process was run,
which any decent RDBMS should be able to do without breaking a sweat. This
is possible with Voyager, the "update" query could be every couple of
minutes and the item display could have a real time hook for status in the
remote case that an item has been checked out or in since the last
process.

art