On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Nathan Vack wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Andrew Nagy wrote:
>
>> Nate, it's pretty easy.  Once you dump your records into a giant marc
>> file, you can run marc2xml
>> (http://search.cpan.org/~kados/MARC-XML-0.82/bin/marc2xml).  Then
>> run an
>> XSLT against the marcxml file to create your SOLR xml docs.
>
> Unless I'm totally, hugely mistaken, MARC doesn't say anything about
> holdings data, right? If I want to facet on that, would it make more
> sense to add holdings data to the MARC XML data, or keep separate xml
> files for holdings that reference the item data?

Depends a bit what you mean about holding data.  There are MARC holding
records (mfhds) that do provide some of this information.  However, much
of the information you want to know on a Voyager system is held in the
database item's record.  (The mfhd has a location, but in Voyager I find
the item perm_location to be more accurate, at least with our practice.).

Some information might be considered too "real time" to index, but it's
worth considering trying it anyway.  I'm hoping to get some queries to get
some of the most useful stuff dumped out and added to yet a third file,
but haven't started yet.  That's a personal project at this point.

> In a lot of cases, location data might not be a hugely important
> facet; at Madison, we have something like 42 libraries spread thinly
> across campus (gah!) -- each with different loan policies -- as well
> as a few request-only storage facilities. So there's a lot of "Stuff
> I Can't Check Out" and a lot of "Stuff I'll Need To Wait For" in our
> collection.

I feel your pain ;).  And worse, there's isn't always a good way to know
if a location actually circulates from within voyager besides sometime
misleading naming conventions.  (For us anyways).  I've been considering
setting up a database that will just act as a mapping for individual
libraries and their shelving locations and preferred policies, if only to
help keep track of them all.

Jon Gorman