On Jan 17, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Casey Durfee wrote:

> So it sounds to me like they're stonewalling you because they flat out
> don't know what they're doing and don't care to find out.  In which
> cases, condolences.

Nope, I really think it's for fear of someone writing a huge runaway
SQL statement that hurts production performance, or something. Our DB
admins are quite competent, if perhaps overly cautious.

And might be reading this list ;-)

"Production" systems at Madison's libraries are famously (and sadly)
*very* limited-access -- hence the, uh, "solutions" that don't
require the Powers That Be to sign off on stuff ;-)

-n