On 1/19/07 9:26 AM, "Steve Toub" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Also, as a possible sweet-spot, I'm wondering if its practical to do
> post-search winnowing by availability after doing the FCLA-style
> real-time query, by doing indexing on the fly of the responses from the
> real-time queries for that particular search.

Interesting idea if done on a screen-by-screen basis. That is, you simply
don't display to the user those that aren't available. I've thought about
this same strategy for a "full-text" filter. That is, you bring back all the
results, but if the user only wants items that have full-text available, you
filter out those that don't as you build the screen display. This of course
has a hit on response time, but with APIs that allow multiple-item lookups,
it is at least not as bad as it could be.
Roy