On Jan 19, 2007, at 6:53 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Great information.  I apologize for being a late comer to the game
> and bringing up FAQs.

Well, I'm not certain Q is A-ed very F.

> What about date normalization?
>
> One thing that must be considered when doing faceted browsing is that
> it works best with some pre-processed data, such as years rather than
> full dates.  The question becomes where does the logic for stripping
> out the years belong?  Solr could do it if configured with a custom
> analyzer for certain fields, or the client could do it.  Is there
> XSLT to do this sort of thing with dates available?

I think the XSLT side of this has been hashed out.

A couple questions that come to mind on the side of the underlying
search engine. For simple dates, say plain years, straight text
matching is okay. But when the record spans some time interval, say
1940s or 1776-1783 or 17th century, it would be nice to have some
support from the underlying search engine. Then maybe the occasional
user wants to express a query in an inteval. I've done the "list
every year in the interval" and it works if everything is a year, but
I find it a bit unsatisfying. The kind of date operations that you
find in RDBMSes seem to be useful. I'm not certain what Luncene
offers. But for facets, I guess a list of discrete years is just what
you're likely to have to work with. displaying the year facet and
offering a range could be interesting.

Apologies for rambling. I woke up a long time ago in another time zone.

-Tod