On Jan 20, 2007, at 11:13 AM, Ross Singer wrote:

> I don't know about Net::Delicious, but the Delicious API only allows
> you to query for information in /your/ profile.  del.icio.us is also
> very restrictive about limiting numbers of hits.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

After a bit more investigation, it seems the formal Web Services-
based API does not support what I desire. Ross, you are correct.

On the other hand, in a round-about way I can get back a JSON data
structure containing tags. In other words, it is possible to send
Delicious a URL and get back a list of tags, but first you need to
retrieve the unique identifier (a hash) for a given URL. Here's how:

   1. Tag a site under your name in Delicious. For example, http://
www.infomotions.com/alex/. The API is good for this.

   2. Use the same API to get details of your posting. For example,
send this URL:

      https://api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/get?url=http://
www.infomotions.com/alex/

      You get back something like this:

       <?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
       <posts dt="2007-01-20" tag="" user="ericleasemorgan">
         <post href="http://www.infomotions.com/alex/"
               description="Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts"
               hash="ef6f018d8a71efbad6646469a549deee"
               others="92"
               tag="ebooks literature library"
               time="2007-01-20T16:57:47Z" />
       </posts>

   3. Use the value of the hash attribute in a second call to return
a JSON object (whatever that is). For example, send this:

       http://badges.del.icio.us/feeds/json/url/data?
hash=ef6f018d8a71efbad6646469a549deee

      And you will get back something like this which you can parse:

        [{ "hash":"ef6f018d8a71efbad6646469a549deee", "top_tags":
{ "literature":25, "philosophy":4, "archive":4, "library":19, "books":
33, "english":4, "free":15, "reference":15, "media":4, "download":5,
"ebooks":37  }, "url":"http://www.infomotions.com/alex/",
"total_posts":92 }]

In other words, in a sort round-about way, a person can: 1) bookmark
a site in Delicious, 2) query the bookmark, and get back a list of
tags that other people have used to bookmark the site. Then you could
extract those tags and update your local metadata records
accordingly. For example, people have "cataloged" the Alex Catalogue
with the terms ebooks, books, literature, library, free, reference,
download, philosophy, english, archive, and media. Hmmm...

--
Eric Morgan