I must admit I've never used MySQL, but the set operations are part of
the SQL92 standard.  I've used them in both Oracle and DB/2, and I think
Access, but I'm not sure.  I often work with *very* large result sets
(millions), and the "IN SELECT()" notation has limits in the few
thousands.  There are no such limits on MINUS, or at least none that I
have run into.