The xISBN service has now moved out of OCLC Research and is now being
supported by the Openly Informatics Division of OCLC. For more
information about about the xISBN service, please visit
http://www.worldcat.org/affiliate/webservices/xisbn/app.jsp

There was a delay in the transfer caused by the snowstorm in Ohio.

We have one problem reported- a poorly documented feature (to
redirect to opacs) was not implemented in the replacement service; we
expect this to be fixed shortly. If you want updates on this issue,
please subscribe to the xidentifier-l mailing list.

In looking at the usage patterns, we've noticed that a very small
number of users are trying to just suck up all the xISBN data using
the webservice. While this may have been reasonable when the data was
static, it is not appropriate now that the data is being frequently
updated. We are now able to supply the COMPLETE xISBN data file every
month to customers who need this for their application, if this
applies to you, please contact us at [log in to unmask]; one of
the national libraries is already working with us in this way.

Another usage pattern seems to be pulling data for the contents of a
library catalog; if you are interested in a batch-update facility,
please contact us.

Some uses appear to be very commercial. If you have a commercial
application not allowed by the existing terms and conditions for free
use, please contact us at [log in to unmask] for a commercial
agreement.

The new web service is rated at 10 million requests per day, so don't
be afraid to send traffic to xISBN. If you expect to use more than
1,000 requests per day, you must contact us. The existing xml
response format does not allow for us to indicate in the response
whether an application over the limit or not without breaking it, and
we've chosen not to break anyone's application.

Eric
--

Eric Hellman, Director                            OCLC Openly
Informatics Division