Hi Everyone,

(**please excuse the cross-posting**)

I am looking for help on coming up with the most optimal "configuration" of
server hardware for our library.

I work as the Web Librarian for a University Library, wher we are currently
re-evaluating the backup plan for our webservers.

This (primarily) includes 2 LAMP machines:

1. One hosting our main website, which is powered by the open-source CMS
Drupal

2. An "auxilary" webserver (still in its infancy), which hosts important but
slightly-less "mission critical" functions like our Libraries' blogging
platform (WPMU).

Any possible hardware limitations have yet to be decided, but we have at
least 2 new machines (yet to be installed) to work with right now . . .

Our desired set-up would support:

1. Frequent backups (daily - best practices here welcomed?)

2. Failover with "minimal intervention" - We are specifically worried about
nights and weekends when there may not be staff immediately available to
troubleshoot problems.

3. Convenient method for copying over changes from development environment
to production - These include software upgrades and settings changes that
may require restart and/or possible downtime.

As you may have guessed, load balancing is much less of an issue, though I
would certainly not ignore any performance improvement tips you chose to
offer.

Any thoughts?  I am very interested in how others of you have set up your
servers to promote optimum redundancy and active development.

We have some ideas ourselves, but I am intentionally "casting the net wide"
to see what others of you out there have done.

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan Blackburn
AIM/E-mail: [log in to unmask]