On Feb 7, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Dorothea Salo wrote:

> A lot, but not infinite. I'm on Dreamhost, and anything that
> involves a
> daemon or other ongoing process is a no-go (though cron jobs are
> OK). That
> does put a crimp in some things.
>
> Also, Dreamhost's reliability has been lousy lately. I certainly
> wouldn't
> host any library-mission-critical services there.

Hm, I haven't had the reliability problems... but I definitely agree
with the not putting production stuff on Dreamhost (or any "shared"
host). People there can gobble all the CPU or memory and hurt your
app. And you're not gonna run Lucene there.

It's just an example of what $8/month(!) get you.

Even, say, two slices at Engine Yard ($500 per month -- rather
expensive commercial hosting) is waaaaaaaay cheaper than a server admin.

And they don't go on vacation.

So... yeah. Don't take that as an endorsement of Dreamhost, but
rather advice against trying to build this -- unless you're doing it
on a fairly large scale.

-n