From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coombs
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] search analytics, part deux

There is a ton of information you can get from your proxy server logs about database usage that goes way beyond the simple usage statistics. I had an article in Library Hi Tech published on the topic.

Coombs, K. A (2005) ³Lessons Learned From Analyzing Library Database Usage Data² Library Hi Tech 23(4), 598-609.

Basically you can look at the path the user is taking to access the database by analyzing the referrer. This is very interesting when you consider that some database usage is via an OpenURL resolver to access full-text, some usage is people using the database itself to search, and some usage is a someone going into a database after using a federated search tool. There are other "paths" as well depending on how your website is configured.

Also depending on how your campus network is configured you can analyze where on campus database are being accessed from: the library, the dorms, the computer labs.

Karen

--
Karen A. Coombs
Head of Libraries' Web Services