That would work if both (or all) library systems shared access to the
same online resources equally.

Or I suppose one could have a system of automatic forwarding/
authentication based on id?  That would be cool, but I wonder how
hard would it be to implement?

Here in Florida, the State Library provides state-wide access to a
lot of online resources.  Some libraries have more, based on their
own subscriptions, but access to the basic level provided by the
State Library is free for everyone who has a library card.  Not
exactly the same idea, but it is an example of an overarching agency
providing more or less seamless access.

Carol Bean