Ryan's message (I guess seeing "academia") made me think of Athens,
which made me further think "Hey, Subscription Databases are just
ITCHING for OpenID!".  I mean, come on... The methods we have for
database authentication aren't working well...

1) authenticating to a proxy and browsing the database through it:
Extra bandwidth is needed, meaning additional cost
2) HTTP_REFERER: Lots of firewalls are blocking this... not to mention
the need to click about 3+ layers of links and potentially entering a
library card number before using the resource
3) Registering a service-specific user ID in the library or remote via
method 1 or 2: Who wants another username/password?

Here's a scenario: I want to access Novelist.  So, I go to my library
web site.  I disable my firewall so that HTTP_REFERER will be passed
on.  I dig out my library card and enter the number on Ebsco's page.
I'm finally where I want to be...

Now, if Novelist implemented OpenID, I could simply go straight there
(whether or not I've ever been there), I can just go to the Novelist
web site and enter the OpenID that I've set up with my library.  1
step, 1 set of credentials.  All is good.

And, this could potentially be expanded so that if my patron is
delinquent, the database can deny him access!

Now, come on... who doesn't think OpenID would be GREAT for
subscription databases?