On 3/24/07, Michael J. Giarlo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hmm?  What's that you say?  Just a sec, but in the meantime, why not sit
> down and have some of this delicious Kool-Aid over here?  It's Ruby
> Red-flavored; I think you'll like it.

Come, now; for those who meddle in things PHP knows that a lot of the
goodness you get from Ruby you'll these days also find in PHP as well.
Things have progressed quite a bit in the last 5 years, and PHP 5.2 is
quite mature and offers an OO model on par with Ruby, without the
hassle of being a fringe technology. :)

As to about Symfony, yes, it's pretty good and compliments (or
answers) the RoR thing well. I personally don't use it as I'm more of
a XSLT, SOA, REST freak (and Symfony is slightly tricky to push into
that box, especially given the non-MVC direction of the SOA we're
building). Now that Ror 1.2 has better support for REST I think
Symfony may follow, but I don't like the default templating language
(PHP with "specials") nor the non-MVC paradigm. Having said that, I
haven't used it for a few versions and things may have improved. Check
it out.

Alex
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchymist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps