Okay, I swear I didn't put Antonio up to this... :-)   [The check is
in your inbox Antonio]

Code4Lib.org doesn't officially cost us anything.  It is housed on a
server that six of us went in on together.  The server houses other
side projects, personal web pages, etc.  It is sort of a grand
experiment (e.g., let's informally pool our resources and get a
non-work machine with a decent pipe).  We all have equal rights (and,
likewise, equal opportunity to mess up the machine).

So, long story short... you could say the code4lib website is
subsidized (like many other great things in life) because we'd want
the box even if we didn't have code4lib.org hosted there.

That said (and here comes the sales pitch), we did just move to a new
host with a much bigger pipe (5x what we had).  Currently, everyone
pays $15/mo.  I cover my $15 and, so far, an extra $20/mo (which I've
been doing gladly all the while hoping we will attract a few more
people who are interested in pitching in on a shared space).

It is a completely informal environment... we are not providing a
hosting service like lishost.org; the expectation is we will take care
of our own sites and related software (though in a shared environment
you get to work together too).

So, if anyone is looking for a little server space, and would like to
pitch into a collaborative environment, get in touch.  This isn't to
say that we'd refuse cold hard cash (we could always put it aside for
when our hardware starts failing us -- which, hopefully, should be
awhile), but the idea of additional collaborators is a much more
enticing one.

Anyway, all this is my opinion alone... I haven't spoken with the
others yet so if they have something different to say I'm sure they'll
pipe up.

Kevin

ps: on a related note, we had a bit of downtime because the new colo
site (despite having a much bigger pipe) doesn't yet have key card
access to the server room (so I couldn't get in until today).  Today
they told me that they are getting key card access at the beginning of
the month (like our previous place did) so we should have much faster
access to the server in the future... and, Antonio, since you are
local to the server we could get you a card too :)